Members of Winchester’s Caramel Festival Committee officially launched the village’s holiday season on Saturday, Dec. 12. The Christmas celebration featured a living nativity scene by the Bethlehem Church of Christ, community carolers, and refreshments for everyone attending. Santa Claus was present to hear the children’s Christmas wishes and pass out toys. Toys for the event were donated by Ms. Liddle and the North Adams Honor Society. In addition to the gift of toys, the committee gave away new mittens, gloves, hats, and socks, as well as new and gently used coats.
In Peebles, the Ladies Auxiliary from the American Legion Post held their 15th annual Veteran’s Christmas Dinner on Sunday, Dec. 13. More than 75 community members attended the event to recognize and celebrate the holidays with local veterans. Each of the veterans was given a Christmas gift by Santa Claus, who also sat for photos with children.
In West Union the Page One-Room school celebrated the Christmas season by hosting an afternoon of fun for local children on Sunday, Dec. 13. Some of the day’s activities included: making ornaments and decorating the school’s Christmas tree, playing games, and reading “The Night Before Christmas” and “The Legend of the Candy Cane.” Each child also received a Christmas book.
The Page School is one of the few remaining one-room schools in Adams County. It has been carefully preserved and appears now as it might have during the years when it housed local students.
The school was established in 1827 when Nicholas and Dorcus Blake deeded the Directors of School District #4 a one quarter acre plot of ground in Tiffin Township upon which the school house was built for the use of the people in the district. The Blakes were paid $4.00 for the land. Page School was named for the Page family who lived in the area. The school was the center of activities for the community. Church services were held there, along with pie suppers and other events. Christmas programs and the last day of school were special highlights. The last year students attended school at Page was 1941. From 1941-71 the school was a private home, three small rooms and a back door were added to the structure. In 1971 the building was owned by the Seaman family. They sold it to Edwin Paul, who bought it for his wife Dorthea, a former student at the school. In 2001 the Adams County Retired Teachers purchased Page School with the goal of renovating the school as a museum for students and adults of Adams County. The school was reopened in September of 2006. Since that time the 3rd grade students of the county have visited in May, and the school is open several times a year for special programs, such as Christmas.