Last updated: May 30. 2014 10:08AM - 566 Views
By PAUL HANNAH phannah@civitamedia.com

An early morning accident on Saturday, May 24 on state Route 136, ended with a crushed front-end on a Chevrolet Cobalt.
An early morning accident on Saturday, May 24 on state Route 136, ended with a crushed front-end on a Chevrolet Cobalt.
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Memorial Day Weekend is known for vehicle accidents as drivers take to the road to spend time with friends and family. This also means that the number of automobile accidents increase as well.

At 1:36 a.m. Saturday, May 24 first responders were called out for a motor vehicle accident on state Route 136. A black, 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt was struck by a black, 2005 GMC Yukon on the north side of Panhandle. The Cobalt had the entire engine compartment crushed in the collision with the Yukon, which appeared to have significantly less damage with only the bumper dangling off the front-end.

The West Union Fire Department responded to the scene along with life squads from West Union, Manchester, and Wayne Township, and the Ohio State Patrol.

The Cobalt was being driven by Morgan Hendrickson, 20, of Seaman, with the following passengers: Ashley Taylor, 18, Winchester; Carissa Miller, 18, of Winchester; Nick Rhodes, 18, of Winchester; and Emily Fite, 19, of Winchester.

The Yukon was operated by Randy Caudill, 41, of Blue Creek with the following passengers: Rick Hill, 41, of Blue Creek; Willinda Hill, 33, of Blue Creek, and two other passengers who have not been identified.

Willinda Hill, Morgan Hendrickson, Carrissa Miller, and Emily Fite were transported by ambulance to the Adams County Regional Medical Center.

The Cobalt was driving north-bound on state Route 136, when the south-bound Yukon attempted to make a left-hand turn into a driveway across the path of the Cobalt. The Cobalt struck the Yukon at speed, as no brake marks were left in the pavement to indicate sudden braking. The State Patrol is still investigating and has issued no citations thus far.

Locals stood outside their homes to watch the proceedings, and first responders remained on scene past 3 a.m. cleaning up the wreck sight, removing the damaged vehicles, and investigating the cause of the accident. The highway was closed due to the accident for the entire time with traffic rerouting by way of Chapparal Road, north of the site of the accident.

Paul Hannah is a content provider for The People’s Defender. He can be reached at (937) 544-2391.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices