peoplesdefender.com

Weekend fire destroys Peebles home

By Carleta Weyrich

4 months 5 days 10 hours ago |24 Views | | | Email | Print

PEEBLES - A fire thought to be out by the resident in a house on Chautauqua Street burst into flames, causing heavy damage to the home on Saturday.


The Peebles Fire Department responded to a call at the home of Guy W. Sowards on Dec. 7 at approximately 5:36 p.m. for a dryer fire. Sowards’ son had attempted to put the fire out earlier and the men thought it had been extinguished, according to Fire Chief Mike Estep. However, the dryer area later burst into flames, which traveled throughout the one-story wood structure.


The volunteer firefighters arrived at the home 12 minutes later. An automatic box alarm brought additional departments from Scott Township, Franklin Township, Wayne Township and West Union. Each department brought a fire engine, and West Union also arrived with a ladder truck. There were 20 firefighters at the scene.


The house was a total loss, but some contents in two rooms were salvaged. The Red Cross was called to assist Sowards.


Firefighters cleared the scene at 9:08 p.m.

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Weather

Sponsored By:

Local Gas Prices

Lowest Gas Prices in West Union
West Union Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com

Featured Business