Jason A Barr Why we celebrate Manchester man killed in single-car accident Adams County Election Results – 2017 Hubert Knauff To keep or not to keep Time again for the changing of the seasons November proclaimed as Adoption Recognition and Recruitment Month Local business is seven decades old and counting Local student gets Nashville call Senior Profile: Gabe Grooms Lady Indians fall in districts Quest For The Cup complete for Dragons Meeting a true sports hero WU’s McCarty named District Player of the Year With regional run, Pennywitt completes memorable career West Union eighth grade volleyball finishes as SHAC runner-up Senior Profile: Tray Brand Greyhounds drop home finale, finish at 4-6 Lady Devils fall in district semis Devils go down in district finals Matt Seas headed back to State XC Meet Senior Profile: Charlee Louden Lady Indians ousted in sectional final Lady Devils down Minford 4-1 in district semis North Adams volleyball claims fourth consecutive sectional crown Senior Profile: Brooklyn Howlett Afterschool fun begins at NAES Wearing it pink in October Kenneth L Austin Jay E Minnich Reuben E Hershberger Bobby L Williams 18 years just isn’t long enough Emotional, historic, and victorious Taking action against addiction Utilities commission approves DP&L electric security plan What matters and what doesn’t Oh dear, is that a deer? Junior Gaffin Charlotte J Thatcher Matthew D Miller Megan R Phillips Ralph M Swearingen Linda C Ackley Robert Ralston Shelly Seaman Increased access to treatment, Improving economic opportunity keys to combating Ohio’s Opioid Crisis Seas siblings are again SHAC Cross-Country Champions Lady Hounds cruise to sectional victory Senior Profile: Alyssa Hoskins 101 and another sectional championship Lady Indians claim sectional title North Adams tops Peebles for sectional soccer crown Senior Profile: Shay Boldman 13.5 seconds, heartbreak for West Union PHS JV Volleyball completes unbeaten season On the course that Nicklaus helped design On the ballot: Meigs Township Trustees West Union Christian Church will again be collection center for Operation Christmas Child Peebles voters will choose council members in upcoming election Seven candidates seek seats on ACOVSD school board A time for transformation What will future generations say? Finding all those treasures Janet K Campbell Robert D Hill Lady Devils blank West Union 7-0 in SHAC soccer finale Vikings invade and conquer the Greyhounds Outpouring of community support for local business woman with cancer Manchester mourns teen killed in single-car crash Kylie S Lucas Sharon R Grooms Steven L Wootten Forest J McDaniel Ralph O Grooms Adams County teenager dies in auto accident Charles N Vance Wesley M Baldwin James Kennedy Tom A Mihalovich Brand hat trick leads North Adams past West Union 5-2 in SHAC soccer action Senior Profile: Bryant Lung Lady Hounds pull off thrilling Senior Night win Volleyball milestones continue to pile up at North Adams Banner season for Lady Indians soccer SHAC holds Junior High Volleyball Tournament Tournament match ups set for volleyball and soccer Senior Profile: Morgan Edmisten Hounds dominate, improve to 3-4 Is this not the best time of the year? Volley For The Cure is another big success Getting everything we ask for Oh, that dreaded leaf project Manchester: Adams County’s oldest community looks to the future with hope Congressman visits Manchester’s newest business Six candidates vie for MLSD School Board Highway 41 road work stalls MFD holds annual Safety Day for kids, families Lenora Mckee

‘Heroin has taken me to my darkest places’

Displaying HEROIN--777x437.jpgIn and out of treatment and trouble, addict calls the drug “life-consuming” – 

By Patricia Beech – 

Kelleyanne is a local heroin addict who began using drugs recreationally when she was 14 years-old after her doctor prescribed 60 Percosets a month for pain related to scoliosis.
At 19-years old her drug use amped up following the death of her infant son. She and the baby’s father began using every day “to escape the pain” of loss, but within a short period of time, she says, “It stopped being about escaping the pain – I just wanted to be high all the time, it was all I thought about – to get high, to get high, to get high”.
She is currently serving time at the Ohio Reformatory for Women.
In the weeks following the death of their son, Kelleyanne and her boyfriend decided to make a move. They chose Florida as their destination.
It was 2010 and the Sunshine State was the nation’s capital for the illegal prescription pain medication trade. That year Florida doctors prescribed more narcotics, dubbed “hillbilly heroin”, than all other 49 states combined. Ninety of the top 100 ocycodone-purchasing physicians in the nation and 53 of the top 100 pharmacies supplying the pills were located in Florida.
“There was an absolute pollution of pain pills and narcotics in the state at that time, and a pain pill there was three times cheaper than it was in Ohio,” said Kelleyanne. “My drug addiction skyrocketed.”
After three months of unrestrained drug abuse, Kelleyanne decided to go home. She had reached a turning point. She would ask for help.
“When I got home I told my Mom what was going on, but I don’t think she necessarily knew the extent of my problem or how to handle it,” she says, adding, “She did the best she could, she was very supportive, but at the same time she was so uneducated about drugs, she had no idea what to do.”
Difficult as it was to quit without the advantages of professional rehabilitation, Kelleyanne successfully stopped using – for a while.
“I stayed clean for almost a year before I relapsed, and I did an excellent job of hiding it for a long time,” she says. “I was in college earning a 4.0 GPA, I was working two jobs, I was dating a very upstanding guy – from the outside looking in, it appeared that I had everything under control, but I was high on heroin the whole time.”
Why did she relapse? She says there was “no reason”for it.
“I was celebrating my 21st birthday when two of my friends came in and their pupils were itsy-bitsy, and I said, “I want to feel like you”.”
Kelleyanne admits that she had a choice in that moment not to use drugs.
“Yeah, absolutely, I had a choice, I chose to do it. I wasn’t dope sick,” she says. “I think my judgement was impaired because I was intoxicated and I think that played a role in my defenses being down, in a sense, I was already using, and when I saw those two people in that state it made me vunerable.”
For several months she attempted to keep her drug habit secret, but her family and her boyfriend became suspicious. They confronted her and she was forced to take a drug test.
“That’s how they caught me,” she shrugs. “So, I agreed to do outpatient rehab.”
Kelleyanne says she quickly realized she could manipulate the outpatient program’s privacy policy to support her ongoing use of drugs.
“I could go outpatient, fail the drug test, but it would keep my Mom and boyfriend off my back because I was still walking into the facility, and they couldn’t report my drug test results to either one of them. So, I used it for a while to maintain my drug use.”
Consequently, her addiction deepened and her relationship with her boyfriend began to unravel.
“We split up, and that’s when things got crazy,” she pauses and adds, “He was just fed up, and I couldn’t blame him. I have nothing but great things to say about him. He tried his best, but I couldn’t stop using.”
Hurt and angry, she lashed out.
“I started to cook meth, I started to use a needle, I started to have absolutely no care whatsoever. I surrounded myself with people who a judge I went before called ‘some of the most notorious criminals he’d ever encountered’. He said he was ‘dumbfounded that I had anything to talk to these individuals about’, but it wasn’t about talking or comraderie with any of those people. I just wanted to be as high as humanly possible.”
That summer her mother found needles in Kelleyanne’s home. She called authorities and had her daughter arrested, hoping to force her into rehab.
Two days later Kelleyanne was on her way to a rehabilitation treatment center in the southern United States.
She calls her 24-day stay at the rehab center “phenomenal”.
“I genuinely felt that I could take on the world while I was there,” she says. “I completed the program and came home, and three days later the sheriff showed up at my front door with a secret indictment for compliticty to burlary.”
Kelleyanne was arrested and jailed.
“I was knocked off my high horse, very quickly,” she says, “I was humiliated. After everything I had learned and conquered while in treatment – and three days later to be on the front page of the newspaper for complicity to burglary – I was devastated.”
She was sentenced to five months in jail, followed by three months in a STAR rehabilitation program which, according to Kelleyanne has “a success rate of next to none”.
Six weeks after completing the rehab program she began using again.
“There was a guy that I had started hanging out with who was using as well,” she says. “I kind of felt like I was always going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place – I came up with a lot of lousy excuses for using.”
Two months later she was stopped by her probation officer. After failing a drug test, she agreed to enter a Cincinnati treament center, but it was short-lived. She was sent back to jail after testing positive for morphine though she adamantly denies using the drug.
“It was a huge ordeal,” she says,. “To this day, I have no clue how it came up positive, they tested me again, and they all came out clean. I have no idea how it happened, but I didn’t use while I was in that facility – especially considering the fact that it was downtown Cincinnati, and there were plenty of people standing on the street corner selling heroin. If I’d wanted to get high I could have.”
She spent five more months in jail before being released. Three days later she had a job. Eight months later she began dating a co-worker.
“It was so much different than any other relationship I’d been in because instead of being mad and mean, he was sad and soft-spoken,” she says. “I was clean, I wasn’t using, but I was drinking, he didn’t do drugs at all, and he didn’t drink, so when I moved in with him, I didn’t drink either, it just wasn’t something that we did.”
But, one month later Kelleyanne relapsed.
“I only used a couple times,” she says. “He was devastated but, I was honest with him about it, and honest with our coworkers about it, I was honest with my mother and with everyone in my life.”
Kelleyanne’s determination to fight her addiction turned to despondency less than two months later when her live-in boyfriend unexpectedly died.
Once again, she turned to drugs.
“I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to get out of bed without getting high first,” she says. “I started to use again, and two weeks after he passed away, my probation officer showed up at my house to drug test me, I failed, so he arrested me, and I’ve been here in jail since then.”
She doesn’t flinch at the statement that she seemed to be always just looking for an excuse to use.
“Oh, absolutely,” she says. “Subconsciously, my addiction is constantly in the back of my mind waiting for an excuse. People are faced with troubles all the time, and they don’t turn to heroin – it’s a mental illness and it’s life consuming, it has taken me to my darkest places.”

(Look for Part Three of this addict’s story in the Wednesday, July 5 issue of The People’s Defender.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© The People's Defender - All rights reserved