Left to right, T.J. Williams, D. J. Williamson, and Steve Ryan from the Peebles Monument Company.
In 1933, the Adams County Historical Society placed a large stone historical marker at the site of Treber Inn located on Zane Trace. Over 83 years it has silently told the story of how Ebenezar Zane marked and cleared the first highway in Ohio in 1796, known as Zane Trace.
Soon after the Treber Inn was built to accommodate highway travelers with food, lodging and entertainment. According to Bill Sininger, the present owner of the Treber Inn, the monument was accidentally knocked over several times in the last 83 years. The last time was fatal to the monument. A large corner of the base was shattered beyond repair so that it could not stand upright.
Fortunately the damage was covered by insurance. The Peebles Monument Company secured an identical stone and engraved the information to look just like the original. It now stands in its original location along Route 41 near the Treber Inn.
Steve Ryan, owner of the Peebles Monument Company, donated his time and material along with equipment to place the broken stone horizontal rather than upright at the Adams County Historical Society campus. It joins hundreds of other Adams County Historical artifacts for the enlightenment of those who visit the Heritage Center museum. Visitors are encouraged to stop by the museum located just north of the courthouse square on Route 247. It is open each Thursday and Saturday, noon- 4 p.m.