Fire destroys Cherry Fork home

A father and son were left homeless after fire destroyed their Cherry Fork home on Sunday, Nov. 28.

Emergency responders were called to the scene of the fire by a passerby who saw smoke rolling from the eaves of the structure located at 120 St. Rt. 137. After calling 911 the driver also alerted one of the home’s residents, Donald Davis, who was asleep and unaware of the fire.

Twenty firefighters and six fire departments responded including: Wayne Township FD-Station 17, Scott Township FD-Station 16, West Union FD-Station 18, Peebles FD, Byrd Township FD, and the Russellville FD-Station 45. The Seaman Life Squad was also called to the scene.

The Wayne Township Fire Department arrived on the scene at approximately 1:45 p.m. Chief Mark Erwin told the Defender, “When we arrived there was a lot of white smoke rolling out of the eaves from a medium fire.”

Erwin entered the structure and found the lower level was clear of smoke, however, in the upstairs smoke was banked all the way to the floor causing zero visibility, though no fire was visible. He knocked out a wall and discovered that fire had spread between the walls down the full length of the house. “It was very difficult to access this fire because the house was older,” Irwin explained.

Two different teams of firefighters entered the house twice to fight the flames on the upper floor, but when they entered the third time the fire flashed engulfing the entire room at the top of the stairs.

“At that point we began using the West Union ladder truck to fight the fire from the front of the house, while firefighters sprayed the blaze from the back,” Erwin explained.

After approximately three hours the fire, which started in an electrical fixture, was extinguished. The upper level and half of the lower floor of the structure were destroyed making the home uninhabitable.

Firefighters had to climb onto the roof to fight the fire that eventually destroyed this Cherry Fork home.
http://www.peoplesdefender.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/web1_Fire.jpgFirefighters had to climb onto the roof to fight the fire that eventually destroyed this Cherry Fork home. Patricia Beech | People’s Defender

Firefighters used the West Union FD’s ladder truck to direct water onto the blaze that began on the second floor of this home.
http://www.peoplesdefender.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/web1_Fire2.jpgFirefighters used the West Union FD’s ladder truck to direct water onto the blaze that began on the second floor of this home. Patricia Beech | People’s Defender
Fire began in electrical outlet

By Patricia Beech

pbeech@civitasmedia.com

Reach Patricia Beech at 937-544-2391 or at pbeech@civitasmedia.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© The People's Defender - All rights reserved