Make plans to join the West Union Senior Club for their carry-in dinner/meeting at noon Friday, June 12, at the Senior Center, located 10835 state Route 41S. This will be their first meeting of this year and in our new facility and we are looking forward to having them here. They always have a wonderful time, have entertainment, some delicious carry-in dishes and desserts and enjoy some loving fellowship. They welcome any senior 60 and over to attend. So whip up a dish and come join the fun. We hope to see you there.
Fun bingo-We are very excited to announce that our new sponsor, MediGold, will host a senior Fun Bingo evening from 5 -7 p.m. June 30. MediGold Representatives will provide small game prizes, snack bags, candy, bottles of water and even a few door prizes. Any senior 60 and over who would like to attend this free event, or if you would like more information, please call Teresa at the Senior Center at 937-544-3979. Seating is limited to 35 seniors only so call today to get signed up on the list.
The Summer Cooling Program begins on July 1. ABCAP will accept calls to schedule July appointments starting June 22. This program can provide assistance to qualified individuals on your electric bill or possibly provide an air conditioner. The guidelines for this program still have yet to be announced. As our office obtains more information, we will keep you informed. If you have any questions, please call ABCAP in Winchester at 1-800-233-7891.
Fund Raising-The Adams County Senior Citizens is continuing our fund raising with products from Rada Cutlery, an American made cutlery. We have catalogs at our office for you to look through at your convenience. We appreciate all those who have supported us in the past and ask for your help to support us for a wonderful future.
Get ready for a falls-free summer. The ice and snow of winter are now just a memory, but that doesn’t mean it’s time to let your guard down regarding falls prevention. Here are some healthy habits you can adopt today to help you and your loved ones stay on your feet all summer long.
• Loose clothing is cooler, but be sure baggy items aren’t so loose that they could trip you or catch on nearby objects.
• Wear sunglasses or a hat to reduce glare from the sun while outdoors.
• Stop and give eyeglasses that become tinted in the sun time to transition to clear indoors before moving around.
• Trade sandals and flip-flops for walking shoes that fit well and give you proper support when walking.
• Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dizziness and fainting from dehydration.
• Keep fans and extension cords out of walkways, and pick up any papers or objects that are blown on the floor by fans or open windows right away.
• Keep flashlights near your bed, in the kitchen and next to your favorite chair to make sure you have one handy if the lights go out.
• Don’t walk through water, mud or debris in outdoor walkways.
• Make sure rugs to catch rain and mud are secured to the floor. The STEADY U Ohio initiative wishes you a safe and happy summer. For more tips and resources to #PreventFalls year-round, visit www.steadyu.ohio.gov.
Random Acts of Kindness — This week’s suggestion: Thank your mail carrier. In most of our lives, there are at least a couple people who we see on a daily basis but don’t necessarily acknowledge because they have become so much a part of our everyday routines.
Just a thought: “We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.” -Charlie Chaplin (1889-1977). Comedic actor, filmmaker, and writer
Beltone. A Beltone Representative will be at the Senior Center beginning 9 a.m. Friday, June 19. For more information or to set up an appointment, please contact Mary at 1-740-353-1021.